Hi guys! We cook foods alot, probably everyday but due to some silly mistakes or lack of knowledge we make food which is not having the taste which we expected and at the same time it took more time to cook.
So here are some most useful, simple and interesting tips through which you can over come these food and kitchen problems:
1) Store spices in a cool, dark place and not above your stove which we normally do to have it easier to pick while cooking. Remember, humidity, light and heat will cause herbs and spices to lose their flavor.
2) If you’re cooking for someone important e.g. for your boss or a date, never ever try a new recipe and a new ingredient (not together for sure) as this can leave you with bitter results.
3) Always cook your pastas a minute less than it is required (as per the package instructions) and cook the rest along with sauce while sauteing in pan.
4) After working with garlic, remember to rub your hands vigorously with vinegar for 30 seconds before washing them. It will remove the odour of the garlic from your hands.
5) We all love baking and the most crucial ingredients for almost all kind of baking are eggs n butter. For best results when you’re baking, leave butter and eggs at room temperature overnight.
6) After cutting corn off the cob, use the back side of a knife (not the blade side) to scrape the cob again to extract the sweet milk left behind. This milk adds lots of flavor to any corn dish.
7) Recipes are only a guideline, not the Bible. Feel comfortable replacing ingredients with similar ingredients that you like. If you like oregano but not thyme, use oregano.
8) Buy fruit at its peak season from farmer’s market and refrigerate it in an airtight container so you can enjoy it year round.
10) When making mashed potatoes, after you drained the potatoes, return them to the hot pan, cover tightly and let it steam for another 5 minutes. This allows the potatoes to dry out so they’ll mash to a beautiful texture and soak up the butter and cream more easily.
11) If you want to make quick pickle then take some salt and sugar along with some white vinegar. Pour over thinly sliced raw vegetables and wait 20 minutes. Your instant pickle is ready to be eaten.
12) For making you salad do you use Salad Spinners? So bulky and annoying. Instead, pile your just-washed greens into a clean dish towel, gather it from the ends, and swing that sucker around until your salad is dry. Easy n Simple too.
13) Grounded spices die quickly. So give them a whiff. If they don’t smell like anything, they won’t be tasting like anything. And if they don’t taste like anything, you’re actually cooking with just a flavorless, brown powder.
14) You have to be cautious while keeping your food into fridge or freezer. If you kept hot thing in the fridge then its temperature increase and it takes lots to maintain its cooling temperature.
15) To make softer chapattis, take the flour, add warm water and some warm milk and knead the dough. Let it rest for 15 minutes before making chapattis.
16) Toasting of nuts, rice, rava and dal (lentils) before cooking with it increases its flavors considerably. Always roast them if you have bit of extra time to do that.
17) Adding few drops of oil to the rice before cooking will prevent it from becoming sticky.
18) Use the excess dal water from boiling dal to make rasam. Similarly, after boiling vegetables if you do not want the extra water, the liquid can be used in gravies or for making chapatti dough.
19) To reduce the amount of oil absorbed by the food when fried, add a pinch of salt to the oil before frying.
20) Before deep frying vegetables or fish or meat, pat it dry completely on a kitchen towel or using a paper napkin. This will ensure that it gets fried properly and tastes better. Also there will be less oil splatter since water is oils worst enemy.